Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker)’s Last Meal of Chicken Cacciatore | The Last Supper
Updated: Jan 21
I'm also a fellow hater of reading the writer's life story whilst trying to get to a recipe, if you want to see pictures or read a few of my words about the Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez, it'll be after the recipe. Thanks.
6 Chicken Drumsticks or Thighs
1 Large Onion
1 Head of Garlic
1 Red Pepper
300ml Red Wine
30g Tomato Paste
100g Halved & Pitted Green Olives
500ml Chicken Stock
500ml Passata or Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp Chilli Flakes
2 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 x Handful of Basil
1 x Handful of Parsley
1. Generously season your chicken legs with salt & pepper and leave to rest for around 20 minutes after taking out of the fridge.
2. Pour a good glug of olive oil into an oven proof, heavy-bottomed dutch oven/casserole dish and heat until smoking.
3. Lay the chicken legs, as skin-side down as you can, into the pan & cook until you have colour all over, but they are not fully cooked, around 2/3 minutes on each side.
4. When browned and golden all over, remove the chicken legs and leave to rest on a wire rack like shown in the video.
5. Dice your onion, garlic and red pepper and add to the hot oil and rendered chicken fat in the dish and saute until soft and some golden fond has collected on the base.
6. Deglaze with the red wine and reduce to a syrup, whilst scraping up the fond.
7. When the alcohol has burned off and the wine has reduced, add your tomato paste and mix until homogenous, then add the sliced mushrooms, olives and cook for 5/10 minutes.
8. Deglaze again with your chicken stock and once incorporated, add our tomato sauce/passata, oregano, chilli flakes, salt & pepper and tear our basil and add.
9. Stir and cover for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
10. Sprinkle over some parsley, stalks n'all, and serve.
Richard Ramirez ; The Night Stalker
Richard Ramirez, dubbed by the San Francisco press as the Night Stalker, was an American Serial Killer who gained notoriety in 1984 & 1985 for his extremely brutal methods of murder, torture and rape.
Ramirez would watch his victims in the evening and once they had gone to sleep, his usual routine would be to execute the husband with a handgun. He would then be able to do as he please with the wife which usually involved bounding their hands and beating them until they professed their love for Satan.
He would usually then either beat them with a tire iron or another weapon of choice until they were dead or opt for a knife, usually slashing their neck until they were nearly decapitated. He would then rape the deceased and leave Satanic messages, such as drawing pentagrams on the walls and limbs of the victims.
He evaded capture from the police for nearly 2 years due to the fact there was no patterns in his victim choosing, unlike most serial killers. His victims age ranged from 83 to as young as 9 years old and he had no preference on race or appearance, thus throwing the police off any trails or common patterns of his crimes.
He was eventually captured by a number of residents in East LA whilst attempting to carjack a woman. They gave him a beating and handed him over to the police. Ramirez was found guilty on 13 counts of murder and sentenced to death in California’s Gas Chamber, unfortunately he wasn’t to die here.
After over 23 years on Death Row, the psychopathic Night Stalker died of B-cell lymphoma at Marine General Hospital in Greenbae, California in 2013, aged 53. He was served a Chicken Cacciatore before he died but it is not known how much he ate, if any.